Here are a few questions that you need to ask:
- To the stakeholders
- When should the project start, when should it finish?
- Who is the main sponsor on the project?
- What are the success criteria of the project? What are objective and what is the goal?
- Why are we having this project in the first place?
- Is the project part of a program?
- Who should I report to? (The project sponsor is always someone you should report to)
- How often should I send reports, and what is the format?
- What is the priority of this project?
- To the team members:
- What are your strengths and weaknesses that are relevant to this project?
- Are you comfortable working on this project?
- Have you worked on similar projects before?
- Are you currently working on other projects? What is your allocation on these other projects? And how soon will you be available to work on this project?
- Is there anyone you have a problem working with?
These are the standard questions that should give you insight about the project and about your resources.