I believe that a career in IT project management is actually quite good. Let's first look at the salary: According to many sources, the average salary of an IT project manager is about $100,000/year, which is very good, especially in this economy. Not to mention also that the educational requirements to become an IT project manager are not steep (many IT project managers reach their position with only a Bachelor degree).
Now let's look at the career path of an IT project manager (I will start from the absolute bottom):
- Developer or system administrator
- Senior developer or senior system administrator
- IT Project Manager (=> You are here)
- Senior IT Project Manager
- IT Program Manager or IT Director (depending on the needs of the company)
- CIO (Chief Information Officer) or CTO (Chief Technology Officer)
- The sky is the limit...
What makes the career of an IT project manager even more exciting is that there is an abundance of jobs at every level of his career path.
So, again, the answer yes, a career in IT project management is excellent!