It is possible to put the stakeholders into general categories:
1. Project sponsor - this is the senior manager with overall accountabity and responsibility for the project.
2. Project manager - yes, you are a stakeholder too!
3. Senior management - senior managers other than the project sponsor often have some form of vested interest in the project outcome. They will attempt to influence the project.
4. Project team member - someone carrying out the work of the project.
5. Project vendors - these are the contractors and/or material suppliers for the project.
6. Project recipients - these are the people that will have to live with the result of the project. They may be internal or external. They may be large or few in number.
Once you get past these 6 general catagories, there may be other groups depending on your sector and industry as well as the nature of your business and project. For example, in the nuclear power industry, the public at large is a stakeholder in the decommissioning process.