Simply put, an action plan is a mini project plan. An action plan is used to replace the project plan in very small projects (projects consisting of a week or less). Writing real project plans for very small projects is counter productive, as it'll probably take more time to write the project plan than to execute the project.
The action plan is a listing of all the tasks to be done, when they will be done, who will do them, and how long will they take.
Here's the header of an action plan:
- Task Id
- Task Description
- Assigned To
- Starts On
- Ends On (Some may replace this row with the duration)
An example row in the action plan is:
- 1 (this is the task id)
- Create the database (this is the task description)
- John Doe (this is the name of the person the task is assigned to)
- Monday, April 25th, 2011 (This is the date that the task begins)
- Tuesday, April 26th, 2011 (This is the date that the task ends)